No retirement talk from Dianne Feinstein, oldest US senator

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    June 19, 2017 8:33 a.m.

Some of you have made cracks about the "pension". Feinstein and Hatch are both old enough that they may only take the pension for a couple of years once they quit.

Not too many positions do you find people older than retirement age? Collectively LDS General Authorities would be the only one.

I'm not a Feinstein fan but if she's in good health and wants to run again, I'm fine with it. Same with Hatch.

People whine that they've both been there too long. Yet they keep winning elections by wide margins. Wonder why? Do most of their constituents think they are doing a good job? Apparently they do. Believe me both Utah and Kalifornia could do a lot worse.

• oaklandaforlife SLC, UT
    June 18, 2017 9:28 p.m.

I wonder if their pensions will be forever protected? My guess is yes.

• libs think what??? Salt Lake City, UT
    June 18, 2017 5:02 p.m.

my two cents
    if hatch is the gop nominee in 2018, I'm writing in my neighbor.

10cc
    not her possession? it's beyond that, it's her identity, same with hatch, one reason they both need to go.

the only thing to be said for them is they pre-date the "borking" of judicial nominees, and lived through more civil times in the senate. One has to wonder if they can remember them, though.

• worf McAllen, TX
    June 18, 2017 3:04 p.m.

Three year term, and gone!

Many Americans would love the honor of serving their country.

Sure the joy!

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    June 18, 2017 11:19 a.m.

So, the Deseret News is trying to tell us --

Feinstein (D) -- old id BAD
    Orrin Hatch (R) -- old is GOOD

• one old man Ogden, UT
    June 18, 2017 9:15 a.m.

You mean someone is actually older than Orrin????

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    June 18, 2017 8:19 a.m.

Maybe Dianne Feinstein hasn't found somebody she's comfortable "giving" her seat to, similar to how Orrin Hatch sees his situation.

(In reality, Feinstein doesn't view her position as Senator as a "possession", which is the difference between politics in California, and Utah.)

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    June 18, 2017 7:54 a.m.

Never voted for her when I lived in California. Out of touch in my opinion. Needs to retire.

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    June 18, 2017 5:04 a.m.

I am glad she is there working for the working families of America.

• Jim Chee Ka'anapali, HI
    June 18, 2017 12:50 a.m.

She's one of the few adults in the room. As long as she continue to do her job well, there is no reason to leave. Of course this is a partisan position which Republican will take exception. But that is the problem. Too much partisan tribalism and not enough interest in working in the interests of the country.

Unfortunately, partisanship is central to the political mindset plaguing our government. There is a greater need for fellowship and movement to the center rather than playing on the extreme fringe on either side.

Leave your partisan feelings for you favorite sports team. When Dianne Feinstein can't do her job anymore, then she should retire. Fortunately, Barbara Boxer was replaced by Kamala Harris, but that's starting to get too partisan. I would take anyone of intelligence, good sense and dedication to the nation's and California's interests, even a moderate Republican with vision and an appreciation for the diversity of the state.

• my_two_cents_worth university place, WA
    June 18, 2017 12:14 a.m.

@David

"Feinstein and Hatch are both poster politicians of this fact."

Yet they keep winning re-election. Obviously, enough voters are fine with them doing what they are doing.

@libs think what???

"she and hatch should just retire"

That's up to the voters.

• libs think what??? Salt Lake City, UT
    June 17, 2017 5:59 p.m.

she and hatch should just retire

• David Centerville, UT
    June 17, 2017 3:37 p.m.

It is so difficult to walk away from power. Feinstein and Hatch are both poster politicians of this fact.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    June 17, 2017 3:26 p.m.

Oh good grief --
    Cry me a river --

Feinstein is to OLD to run?
    yet,
    Utah Senator Orrin Hatch is 83, and plans to run again.

Boo--Hoo