BYU's Laulu-Pututau focused on becoming a tight end who blocks, catches passes

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    March 20, 2017 9:35 p.m.

Re: Down under - Salt Lake City, UT. Sorry, but no hater's bandwagon for me. I'm a big fan, supporter of Cougs Football, including attending home games each year. But the DN feeds us the same thing every 2-3 years about how the TE position is going to be so much stronger. I'm "guessing" they're getting their info. from the coaches. I do recall Detmer in one of his first press conferences indicating the TE was going to be brought back to the glory days of BYU football. Again, last year, the TE's were MIA. That's all I'm saying. I'm a BIG fan of the coaches, including Detmer. Just curious where DN sportswriters get their info. from.

• wahului Stockton, CA
    March 20, 2017 8:52 p.m.

This coaching staff, Detmer in particular but Sitake and others, are better than most of the blogosphere has a clue about. I had a lot of "expert" opinions myself about the way last year was run , but I'm learning to just shut up and learn. What's coming? I can see a lot of direction forming, but am also certain that I will continue to be pleasantly surprised by ultimate results. Much different than what the Mendenhall era had become; seemingly stale and topped out. There are new horizons out there now, and they're being striven for. Make it happen, Cougars!!!!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    March 20, 2017 2:19 p.m.

"I guess you can just jump on the haters bandwagon. It is kind of full but I am sure there is room for one more as it comes stumbling down from the hill."

It's always being remade and renovated to cover for its increasing population.
    It too kills me when people bury a coach for no reason other than to fill their egotistical unreal expectations.

• Aliluminar Orem, UT
    March 20, 2017 1:09 p.m.

Motekiai Langi is listed in the 2017 BYU Cougars football team roster, among the returned missionaries, with the following info:

DL Height: 6'7" Weight: 410 Freshman

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2017 12:17 p.m.

So cal,
    Give the coaches a chance. They only have one year under their belt. If the coaching staff says they want to make the TE a bigger part of their offense what makes you an such expert on the TE position at BYU to say that they won't. Good grief, show a little faith in what the coaches are saying and the direction they are going.

• 2020 Herriman, UT
    March 20, 2017 11:53 a.m.

Laulu-Pututau will need to get a couple games under his belt. Once he has seen live bullets, against defenders in other color uniforms, he'll adjust just fine. That's not a knock on the guys he will go against in practice. There is a lot of talent on BYUs D-line and Linebackers. It's just never the same as going against talent that is trying to beat you on game day, instead of trying to get better in practice.

• Bear Somewhere, UT
    March 20, 2017 11:37 a.m.

If the Langi kid returned late January he is probably not enrolled in school as it begins in early January. He can't be in camp if he is not enrolled I would say look for him in fall camp.

• Deanvrtc Vancouver, WA
    March 20, 2017 11:31 a.m.

Bought my BYU/Utah tickets last evening. Paid a premium for good seats. Cant wait for the football season to begin! BYU fans are waiting in mass to get behind Mangum and this group of talented kids. Sitaki /Detmer have done a great job changing the mentality of the team. Everyone I know close to the program can feel the positive changes. Great job to the coaching staff...

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    March 20, 2017 11:13 a.m.

You gotta be kidding me. Fool me once, DN, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. This reaks of "Bash Brothers" (2015) revisited. I'm safe in saying "I'll believe it when I see it." The tight end positon continues to be MIA in the Coug's offensive scheme.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2017 9:52 a.m.

I sure like the direction BYU is headed. The coaching staff seems to be dialed in on what it will take to win. Detmer is not only a class-act as a person and a fantastic OC. His experience in the NFL and in reading defenses will start to show this year as he calls plays.

This could be an exciting season. Looking ahead I see a 10-2 season barring any key injuries.

• burningblue Provo, UT
    March 20, 2017 9:49 a.m.

@water rocket

Are you sure they aren't using him? I swear that I've heard both Tuiaki and Detmer talk about where they want to put him during spring ball.

• Tilka PORTLAND, OR
    March 20, 2017 6:16 a.m.

Just wondering why Cahoon was asked to leave by Bronco. What does Sitake see in Cahoon that Bronco didn't.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    March 20, 2017 1:30 a.m.

I must post a correction to my earlier comment about the BYU commit and returned missionary Langi. I posted that he was from Samoa. That is incorrect, he is from Tonga. His name is Motekiai Langi. I would like to know why he can't be with BYU this fall. Since he was close to a 4.0 student in high school, and has a spotless moral character, and returned from his mission to Arizona in late January, I don't understand why he won't be available for fall camp. Can a sports writer please explain this for me?

• water rocket Magna, UT
    March 20, 2017 12:48 a.m.

I like the attitudes of the coaches. They are actually looking at the talent they have and trying to find ways to utilize that talent. In the past, it seemed like the players were being required to transform themselves to fit what the coaches wanted. Plus, the new coaching staff and players are actually seem to be having more fun and working together.

Last year BYU's loses came early in the season, when they were still learning the new offense. This year, I am confident they will get off to a better start. Wouldn't it be something if they beat LSU? The passing game is a great equalizer, where speed and execution beat size and brute strength.

Speaking of brute strength, why is the Langi kid from Samoa not being used? He returned from his mission in January, and at over 400 pounds, he could sure help on either line.

• cmsense Kaysville, UT
    March 19, 2017 9:55 p.m.

I hope the TE comes back strong in BYU's offense. BYU's been able to produce some awesome TE's in the past, so lets keep em coming.

Just a thought, Kalen Hall looked awesome out there last year. If he isn't the starter at RB, how about as a slot receiver.

All I know is he we need to get him more touches!