Utah

Chaffetz says he won't seek re-election but his plans remain unclear

Comments

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    April 22, 2017 11:24 a.m.

Perhaps Jason didn't spend enough time on his cot.

I wonder if not being able to look his daughter in the eye us the only principle he compromised.

Interesting timing with the Russia inquiry coming up in a week and Jason bailing now.

Head of his committee and now this. How the high and mighty have fallen.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    April 21, 2017 12:47 p.m.

Jason is done with politics for good and I think that is by design. I think he has had enough of the ugliness that is national politics. As for governor -- I think that is all media speculation and I don't think Jason has any ambition for politics anymore. I would expect to see him in some law firm -- making more money with less headache.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    April 21, 2017 7:47 a.m.

moi2u: "I don't get all the negative comments about Chaffetz."

He was not a far-left liberal who toed the line of the progressive agenda. That is all it takes to draw the ire of many people who comment regularly on this forum.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    April 20, 2017 11:12 p.m.

If Chaffetz wanted a 6th term he's win it in a cake walk regardless of who the Libs threw at him.

• NorthboundZax Carbondale, IL
    April 20, 2017 10:11 a.m.

He still has nearly two years to actually put some ethics into an ethics oversight investigation. It would be a welcome change to see him try that at least once before his last term is over.

• ERB Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 20, 2017 1:10 a.m.

I'm laughing at people in the comments calling him a career politician. Just think about that thought as he gets out after 10 years. No, Harry Reid was a career politician. And so are so many others. But not Chaffetz.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    April 19, 2017 10:57 p.m.

These type of articles (particularly for the House Oversight Chairman) is Liberal Fly Paper... There will be several attack comments on this guy who gave this country 10 good years in the House. And, for the record, if he would have stayed and ran for Reelection in 2018 he would easily win a 6th term. Don't think so?... Watch in 2020 when he becomes our New Governor.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    April 19, 2017 10:49 p.m.

I was a Chaffetz fan. I found him to be honest and full of passion. He was particularly good during the Obama years. I'm not sure who the wanna bes are at this point but in my opinion they will have a large shadow to fill.

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 19, 2017 10:17 p.m.

How long until Greg Hughes determines he is the most qualified to replace Chaffettz?

• estudiante Herriman, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:41 p.m.

Go Chia-Chi Teng! He'd do a good job.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    April 19, 2017 8:50 p.m.

"How sad that we live in such a sad state of affairs any more that we cannot even keep a good man like Jason Chafftez in office! "

No, he is doing exactly what people have been asking of our politicians to do, to leave before they become engrained into the offices and stop working for the people. I will leave it up to history to determine how effective he was. But this is exactly what people have been clamoring for - no career politicians sitting in the same office for decades.

We can't have it both ways.... term limits for those we don't like, but endless terms for those we do like. It needs to stay consistent. So thank you for your service, I look forward to what the next chapter is for him, but it is someone else turn to represent and "serve".

Now if we can get Hatch to follow suite. He has served well, but it is now time for someone who is not a career politician to serve.

• Ann Blake Tracy Henderson, NV
    April 19, 2017 6:32 p.m.

Oh no! What a travesty, not only for Utah, but the whole country! It was so refreshing to finally watch someone standing up for our rights! But I certainly understand why he would not want to continue dealing with the American public or the manipulative media or powers that be either. How Trump has been able to tolerate them this long either is beyond me!

How sad that we live in such a sad state of affairs any more that we cannot even keep a good man like Jason Chafftez in office! This country, I fear, has already reaped their own just rewards. It really is just way too late to save it from Karma! They deserve the likes of Hillary Clinton!

• one old man Ogden, UT
    April 19, 2017 4:52 p.m.

The photo accompanying this article is appropriate.

Professional politicians enjoy one great big revolving door, funded by special interests.

But thanks anyway, DN, for a bit of good news today.

• kfbob SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 19, 2017 4:06 p.m.

“Chaffetz refused to hold Trump and his family accountable for using the presidency to pad their bank accounts at the expense of Americans,”

Another DNC chairwoman into the conspiracy game.

• shabam Ogden, UT
    April 19, 2017 4:09 p.m.

He is a Career Politician, like Orrin Hatch. I believe he was foul and nasty towards are former President Barack Obama, without due cause.
    He was malicious and vindictive to the People who did not support his views.
    He has no place in a public office that shares everyone's views and does not represent the interest of the people vs the corporate interest of class warfare.

• taatmk West Jordan, UT
    April 19, 2017 3:54 p.m.

Thank you for your service, Mr Chaffetz. Now its one of Mitt Romney's sons turn to step in.

• Jacobiuntherus Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2017 3:29 p.m.

Congressman Chaffetz has served our nation with distinction and integrity. I am saddened to hear that he will not seek re-election. It will be hard to find a better person to run for Congress than Jason Chaffetz.

• moi2u Cleveland, OH
    April 19, 2017 3:23 p.m.

@TouchdownUtes-SLC--evidently, people do not like being told the truth about themselves--the truth is that most of us desire and pay for material possessions over our own best interests ($700 cell phones being one of those material possessions). Glad Jason had the guts to call folks out on their own willful stupidity.

As far as The Don's election went, he was the GOP nominee as distasteful as it was--a good many folks held their noses and voted for him to keep Hillary out of the WH again. I wasn't one of them, but I understand those who did. That said, Woe to the society that puts up nothing but corruption to choose from to lead them-the historical & sacred records repeatedly show their days are numbered.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    April 19, 2017 3:19 p.m.

1. Hillary Clinton did not get elected -- so the Benghazi Investigation ended his career.

2. He could not look his teenage daughter in the eye, but voted for Donald Trump anyway.

3. That Town-hall meeting [and Benghazi, Planned Parenthood, and poor people's cell-phone comments] were nationally humiliating.

4. He MUST know by now that Donald Trump is guilty and will ultimately go down, and Chaffetz does not want to be the one going after him.

Game Over

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2017 3:13 p.m.

@moi2u "He [Chaffetz] has served Utah with honor and integrity, "

But do you know what the House Oversight Committee is supposed to do?

Consider:

"The Committee on Oversight and Government Reform is the main investigative committee in the U.S. House of Representatives. It has jurisdiction to investigate any federal program and any matter with federal policy implications."

During the Clinton years it exhaustively investigated Clinton.

But under Chaffetz it won't touch Trump and Russiagate.

No, Chaffetz' performance is a disgrace.

• moi2u Cleveland, OH
    April 19, 2017 2:55 p.m.

Misty Mountain--if Jason does run for president, then he has my vote. That's the best way to get the bungler-in-chief out of there, IMO.

• TouchdownUtes Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2017 2:45 p.m.

My issue with him is that he said that he couldn't support Trump after the video, in essence saying that he wouldn't be able to look his daughters in the face....but then he ended up voting for Trump anyway. He also got heckled to death at the last Townhall meeting he attended....wow....his constituents let him have it!

• moi2u Cleveland, OH
    April 19, 2017 2:44 p.m.

I'm not from Utah, but it's been my second home over the years, and may be home in the near future. I don't get all the negative comments about Chaffetz. Jason is one of the good guys who 'gets it' that service in the House was never meant to be a lifetime job. He has served Utah with honor and integrity, and it's sad to see him move on. If Hatch retires from the Senate (and it's past time he does) I hope Jason will run for his seat. If Jason doesn't then may God bless him and his family, and I hope he's governor of Utah in 2020.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 19, 2017 2:36 p.m.

Honestly, the 11 year old girl who believes in science would be a better congresswoman than Jason ever was.
    Also, Jason would have had to raise too much money and work much too hard to be re-elected. The democratic nominee would have taken him out.

• Mayfair City, Ut
    April 19, 2017 2:32 p.m.

He probably started thinking about the joy of not having to watch/listen to crass,rude, screaming people (who have no idea what they were talking about) at town hall meetings anymore.

And the joyful prospect was too much to ignore. :)

May he enjoy his well deserved days of freedom from that ridiculous insanity...

It takes a lot of guts to try to stand for truth and right these days.

We thank you for trying to do that.

• Daedalus, Stephen ARVADA, CO
    April 19, 2017 2:18 p.m.

Chaffetz said "For those that would speculate otherwise, let me be clear that I have no ulterior motives" and he "repeatedly said he made the decision not to run because he wants to spend more time with his family."

Chaffetz could have simply stuck a very reasonable and plausible justification, that he wants to "return to the private sector" for financial and quality of life reasons. Even the online article gives a cheeky nod to this lucrative rationale with a picture of Chaffetz entering a revolving door.

Chaffetz is a fairly ham-fisted and tone-deaf politician, even if he is in a safe district who likes what he does. But his bungling of this news is unique and suggests that others shoes will drop.

Before anyone "speculate[d] otherwise" about his motivations, Chaffetz raised that this was even a possibility.

And Chaffetz "repeatedly" fell back on the "wants to spend more time with his family" cliche, the go-to noble-sounding phrase uttered by countless soon-to-be-disgraced politicians and CEOs as they resigned.

Unnecessary and unforced errors in what could have been a simpler and understandable explanation for why he will not run in 2018.

Why?

Stay tuned...

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    April 19, 2017 2:15 p.m.

The liberal commentators are gleeful whenever someone like Chaffetz decides to leave office. Although he has never said anything as incendiary as Maxine Watters, Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, or Elizabeth Warren; he has certainly said things that have drawn the ire from the left.

If he had a D behind his name, the liberals on here would have nothing but praise for him. They are so two-faced with their political biases that a Republican can never do anything right in their eyes and no Democrat can ever do anything wrong.

• Truth Seeker Wellsville, UT
    April 19, 2017 2:09 p.m.

I can see by many of the comments given that fake news is alive and well in Utah. Congressman Chaffetz has served our state and country with distinction and I for one am proud of the job he has done while in congress. He is from the same mold as Congressman Trey Gowdy. Together they have done a lot behind the scenes that the media will never share with you. The Republican party is going to have a hard time finding someone to replace him that will continue to drain the swamp. I believe the corruption in our government is so bad that an honorable person would find it very hard to stand for what is best for the nation and not to line their own pockets. Jason is one of these men that does what is right.
    Thank You Congressman Chaffetz.

• MBB Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2017 2:00 p.m.

While I am extremely happy that he won't be seeking reelection, I can't help but wonder what is his ulterior motive? He likes the spotlight too much. I'm not sure what his long term goals might be but I won't be surprised to see him on Fox News in one way or another.

• Wasatch Al South Jordan, UT
    April 19, 2017 1:44 p.m.

I hear he might be replacing Bill O'Reilly on Fox News.

• Mike M Roy, UT
    April 19, 2017 1:30 p.m.

@BPositive - South Jordan, UT

"Love it when people from the failed state of Hawaii have advice for other states.
    I left Hawaii 20 years ago, I could have stayed, voted for Obama and sat in my house in Makiki and complained about how bad everything is, but it I didn't. I came to the mainland, worked hard to build my business and took responsibility for my life."

Failed state of Hawaii huh? That's rich, I guess there's not much of a market for MLM's in Hawaii then!

• loweye salt lake, UT
    April 19, 2017 1:25 p.m.

To justiciaparatodos,

You have got to be kidding. You seem to be saying that "freedom of expression and religious liberty" are the right of only repubs. Apparently you have chosen to ignore those who have said in this very forum that liberals should just keep their mouths shut and leave Utah because the repubs want no discent or free speech for anyone but themselves, altho the Constitution guarantees it for ALL of us.

You also seem to think that all democrats stand for is abortion, which is not true for everyone, yet you people seem to stand for nothing but your 2nd amendment rights which I assume is not true for all of you either. What's the difference when either party says the other party stands for only one issue? Who exactly are you to say who values freedom more than anyone else?

Perhaps you can explain why the last time I saw the approval rating for Trump it was 36% in the country and 54% in Utah. I can't wrap my head around that.

As for Chaffetz, it will be good to have the grandstanding gone.

• summerizerer Somewhere, ID
    April 19, 2017 1:25 p.m.

All these democrats commenting about Chaffetz not having a chance in UT against a democrat is just plain silly.

Been vacationing in Colorado?

• Woohoo Somewhere, ID
    April 19, 2017 1:22 p.m.

"He said his announcement makes it clear he will not run for Sen. Orrin Hatch's seat next year. Hatch, R-Utah, first elected in 1976, has not yet said for sure whether he will seek re-election."

Hopefully Hatch will follow his example.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    April 19, 2017 1:13 p.m.

Makes me wonder if Trump made some kind of threat against Chaffetz and he so no other way out.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    April 19, 2017 1:13 p.m.

Now that he has nothing to lose, why not do the honest thing and go after Trump's enormous conflicts of interest with full force?

It's time for Utah to stop electing these people with no moral courage, just because they say they are GOP. Rob Bishop and Orrin Hatch also need to go...

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 19, 2017 1:09 p.m.

It's like Chaffetz has just missed 50 straight field goal attempts and he realizes the fans are upset!

So he's not going to kick field goals any more!

It's not that Chaffetz thinks he is bad at kicking field goals!

He may actually try to kick some field goals in the future!

• PamFlinders Sandy, UT
    April 19, 2017 12:47 p.m.

Mr. Chaffetz is probably a nice person but he is sorely out of touch with what normal Utahns go through. His comments on healthcare were very obtuse and showed the disconnect between congress and the average worker.

I can't say that I'll miss him but I wish him well.

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    April 19, 2017 12:44 p.m.

@Gregory Hill wrote, "...and let Jason return to private life with dignity."

The dignity he earned from wasting millions of dollars on the Hillary witch hunt?

The dignity which came from wasting millions of dollars on the pretend Obamacare repeal votes?

The dignified avoidance of ANY inquiries into the emoluments violations (you have a half dozen to pick from)? Or the Russian connections?

The dignity he showed when he blithely dismissed the health care costs with a flip comment about "investing" in your own health care vs. buying a $700 iphone?

Chaffetz is due exactly the same amount of respect that he showed the people at the infamous Town Hall meeting. Zero.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    April 19, 2017 12:41 p.m.

Careful --
    He could be pulling a "Hatch" on us!

and
    Why not - it worked so well to keep Orrin safely in Washington D.C. for 42 years!

• The Meliorist Grande Cache, 00
    April 19, 2017 12:00 p.m.

For the conservatives here this is great news.

As much as I respect much of what Chaffetz has done, having a representative who will have full capacity to stand up to the President is more important.

Hopefully now we can;

1. Complete the impeachment of Trump.
    2. Ensure that the Republicans can hold both houses (rather than getting bounced because of their connections to Trump)
    3. Elect a true conservative next election
    4. Keep the left-wingers from another term

This is not good news for left wingers. This is great news for true conservatives.

• Uteofferouus Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2017 11:59 a.m.

Thank you Congressman Chaffetz for your incredibly good service to this nation and to the state of Utah. We Utahns are so proud of the way your represented us and I think I speak for most who would happily support you if you decide to run for Governor. We need more honest and moral people like you to represent the people. Your great service and sacrifice in our behalf will be fondly remembered for generations.

God bless you Congressman Chaffetz!

• MoreMan San Diego, CA
    April 19, 2017 11:54 a.m.

Well...so much for Jason riding in on the proverbial "white horse".

• Justiciaparatodos Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2017 11:54 a.m.

Sorry to hear this news - Representative Chaffetz has done a terrific job for Utah and for the nation. He will be sorely missed by all who value freedom - especially the freedoms of expression and religious liberty! Thanks Congressman Chaffetz, we are indebted to your for your valiant and productive service!

Mr. or Ms. Marxist uttered this extremist comment: "Until women have power comparable to men, abortion must remain safe and legal. The Democratic Party of Utah must attack this issue full force against the Republican Misogynist Party and you".

Until the Democratic party becomes a party about something much broader than the already stale blather of misogyny and racism they will continue to lose and be the party of irrelevance.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2017 11:46 a.m.

Famous questions: "Your money or your life?" "Health care or your cell phone?"

Sigh, it would have been great fun.

• BPositive South Jordan, UT
    April 19, 2017 11:47 a.m.

@ Jim Chee - Ka'anapali, HI

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    April 19, 2017 11:40 a.m.

For the lefties on this thread, their euphoria will be but an illusion. The 3rd C district will remain firmly in conservative hands.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    April 19, 2017 11:33 a.m.

Jason has my vote for governor in 2020!

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2017 11:19 a.m.

@Brer Rabbit "Democratic Abortion Party"

Until women have power comparable to men, abortion must remain safe and legal.

The Democratic Party of Utah must attack this issue full force against the Republican Misogynist Party and you.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2017 11:14 a.m.

Chaffetz is getting out of congress while the getting is good. Sooner or later he would be obligated to look into Russiagate, with enormous harm to his political capital. Good thinking, Chaffetz, but I wish you had exercised your responsibilities.

• dolce et decorum est Murray, UT
    April 19, 2017 11:12 a.m.

This is a positive development. I choose to believe that this was a difficult decision for Mr. Chaffetz that required some soul searching, but it was the right thing to do. Now, let’s elect someone with a better sense of the challenges confronting ordinary Utahns and who will work to improve the lives of all Americans.

• TAS Tehachapi, CA
    April 19, 2017 11:14 a.m.

Interesting news. Chaffetz's announcement, and the close run election in the Ga 6th Congressional District, indicate that there will be a shift in the House of Representatives after the 2018 mid term elections. The Democrats will probably pick up enough seats to make things interesting.

• JBs Logan, UT
    April 19, 2017 11:09 a.m.

Best news today. I believe he's leaving because he knew he couldn't win. He appears to have enjoyed Washington politics and being in the middle of things, so why would he leave if he was being successful? Maybe his town hall and being called out on his comments and behavior did some good. Maybe Orrin will get the hint...nah!

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    April 19, 2017 11:09 a.m.

This is a logical first step if Chaffetz does plan to run for Governor in 2020. He can say he wants to return to the private sector but when his current term expires, it frees him up to devote full time to a gubernatorial run whether or not that's what he's planning to do.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    April 19, 2017 11:06 a.m.

This is a win-win. Good for him and his family and good for the citizens of Utah.

• kmike las vegas, NV
    April 19, 2017 11:01 a.m.

I think you mr Chaffetz made the right decision, i do not think you would be re-elected, My friends in your district seem to think that you are done. I would suggest to you that you come clean with your efforts to protect Mr Trump,

A clean Conscience is more valuable than any amount of Money

• Jim Chee Ka'anapali, HI
    April 19, 2017 11:01 a.m.

Could be another Marco Rubio move to get more supporters behind him after his disastrous Town Hall meeting. They will demand and beg him to stay. There are still more investigations into Hillary Clinton the conservatives want. Remember the popular "Lock Her Up" chants at Donald Trump rallies?

Jason Chaffetz loves the attention and the lights. If Donald Trump is impeached as he appears to be heading, Mike Pence can advance to be president and Paul Ryan named as vice-president giving the GOP its dream team. Then Chaffetz can become Speaker of the House like he's always wanted.

We'll have to see how this plays out. But in the final analysis, Chaffetz, regardless of what he does, with have another conservative Republican occupying the congressional district seat he currently occupies. Nothing changes except the faces and Utah's moderate citizens still go without representation.

• SoCalConvert Poway, CA
    April 19, 2017 10:56 a.m.

It's amazing to me how so many people can see things so differently. I guess like every politician, some people love him/her, some hate him/her. It is odd how that is...

I personally like Jason Chaffetz, and the job he has done, and wish him well.

• Brer Rabbit Spanish Fork, UT
    April 19, 2017 10:52 a.m.

This is almost funny, "Although Chaffetz easily won a fifth term in 2016, he was facing a tough campaign for the 3rd District seat next year with Democrat Kathryn Allen, who already has raised more money than him."

Anyone that knows anything about Utah politics know that anyone connected to the Democratic Abortion Party has zero chance of being elected to statewide office and even far less chance of being elected in the 3rd Congressional District. There are zero democrats elected to any political office in the 3rd CD. The DN statement above is silly and they know it. The money is meaningless.

Whoever wins the 3rd CD Republican Primary will win the election. The democrat will be lucky to even beat 3rd party candidates.

• Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2017 10:49 a.m.

Don't get too excited, people. He's never been a man of his word. When 2018 rolls around, you can expect him to have a "change of heart".

• Ronald Fox Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2017 10:49 a.m.

Jason showed a lot of class by bowing out early, giving others the chance to build a campaign organization. He served Utah well during his time in Washington.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    April 19, 2017 10:38 a.m.

Oh MAN that;s welcome news....it feels like finally getting that sliver out of your finger that's been bothering you for a while...Enormous relief.

• holy moly Herrmian, UT
    April 19, 2017 10:37 a.m.

Is this a Trump casualty?

• Misty Mountain Kent, WA
    April 19, 2017 10:34 a.m.

@Gregory Hill wrote,

"No person escapes an occasional thoughtless remark or slip of the tongue, and no person is 100% consistent in belief or behavior. Let's stop seeking "gotcha" moments, and let Jason return to private life with dignity."

These were not occasional, nor were they slips. Chaffetz is a Ted Cruz wannabe. Like Cruz, his every action was to be loud and strident, with faked righteous indignation. Neither person planned on making it a career to be just another congressman from their particular state.

But the attack dog, who so fiercely insisted that Clinton had done something terrible, suddenly mellowed out when Trump came into office. No, Jason had no interest in probing Trump's financial conflicts of interest. No, there was no point bothering to look into the Russian connections. Ignore the signs of treason that the leaks were pointing to--the ONLY thing he wanted to do was to go after the people who had done the leaking.

Chaffetz said he won't run in 2018. Folks, there's an election in 2020 that he just might be interested in. And it's not running the state of Utah.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    April 19, 2017 10:34 a.m.

Jason..take Hatch with you-

• FT salt lake city, UT
    April 19, 2017 10:33 a.m.

Americans wish Hatch shared the same principles and would let our citizens republic work as it was intended.

• I-EM-YOU SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 19, 2017 10:23 a.m.

@impartial17
    Sounds like you're partial.
    Thanks for your service, Jason. Now, run for governor.

• Justmythoughts Provo, UT
    April 19, 2017 10:18 a.m.

I was never a huge Chaffetz fan, he seemed to like the spotlight...but this makes me think better of him. No one is irreplaceable. I wish Hatch was aware of that fact.

• Gregory Hill Richboro, PA
    April 19, 2017 10:07 a.m.

We are far too critical and too harsh with those who we elect to office. I would never have voted for Chaffetz because my political world view and his are at odds, and I do think he was unfair to Hillary (though not as unfair as some other GOPers). No person escapes an occasional thoughtless remark or slip of the tongue, and no person is 100% consistent in belief or behavior. Let's stop seeking "gotcha" moments, and let Jason return to private life with dignity.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    April 19, 2017 10:06 a.m.

Good news for Utah.

• Mike M Roy, UT
    April 19, 2017 10:04 a.m.

I don't believe you Jason. There has got to be an ulterior motive here somewhere since you've already filed for re-election with the FEC somewhere back in February, nothing is stopping you from changing your mind in six months or a year. Particularly since you have in excess of $400,000 in your campaign war chest. You have proven throughout your career that there is nothing honorable that is sacred to you, and you can't be trusted. What was it Jon Huntsman said about you and your competition, oh yeah, it went something like "they got Chaffetzed".

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    April 19, 2017 10:01 a.m.

Ok. Sounds like this had been in the works for a while.

Kudos to Chaffetz. There is much more to life than being part of the Washington Establishment till you drop dead at age 88.

And, no, Kathryn Allen is not going to win that seat. And probably not Damian Kidd either.

• Cheesecake Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:59 a.m.

Realizing a Democrat had a real chance of beating him, he is withdrawing so another Republican can step up, and the party can keep his seat. Party above all else; it's the republican way.

• tryingtosmile salt lake city, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:58 a.m.

This just means Trump will not have ANY oversight for the next 2 years.

• Edgar Samaria, ID
    April 19, 2017 9:58 a.m.

Most professional people I know , myself included, try to clean up all the loose ends before they leave a job...you know, finish as much as you can and leave the position in good shape for your replacement. So Congressman Chaffetz has a little less than 2 years to do just that. There's a great big conflict of interest living in the White House these days and Chaffetz' committee is the right one to clean that mess up. I hope he does.

• DavidMiller Bountiful, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:58 a.m.

Too bad Rob Bishop can't figure out this trick. He's accomplished less in 14 years than Chaffetz has in 8 and can't even be bothered to have a social media presence to communicate with voters.

Also, Chaffetz obviously failed to consult with Hatch on this move - he didn't name an heir apparent as part of his announcement. It's like he thinks the seat belongs to the voters rather than to himself.

• Instereo Eureka, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:56 a.m.

GOOD!

• pcguy PARK CITY, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:55 a.m.

Happy to hear that Jason Chaffetz is choosing not to run for re-election. Now if Rob Bishop would just do the same I would be a happy camper.

• Boyd in Provo , 00
    April 19, 2017 9:55 a.m.

Make no mistake but if Chaffetz had decided to run for Congress again, Democrat Kathryn Ellen would have absolutely no chance of defeating him. I believe that he will reconsider his choices and run for U.S. Senator when Orrin Hatch announces his retirement. And he will be very effective. And we will be grateful to have him fill that slot.

• Harrison Bergeron Holladay , UT
    April 19, 2017 9:52 a.m.

On the one hand we will hate to see him go. It will be hard to find a replacement as good as he is.

On the other, this is kind of what we expect our elected officials to do (self imposed term limits). Elected office wasn't meant to be a career.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:51 a.m.

GOOD.
    He knows the democratic challenger would beat him.

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:49 a.m.

In his limited time in office and with his committee perhaps he could investigate foreign influence in our elections?

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:52 a.m.

I truly believe that the country will be better for his decision.

• Red Smith American Fork, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:43 a.m.

Thank you Jason Chaffetz for being a great man.

If only Congress had more men like you in it our laws would be more just.

• itswhatithink West Jordan, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:42 a.m.

If Chaffetz is not running again, then it would be good for him to stay in the country and represent the people of Utah.

• Jbejarano Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:42 a.m.

Thank you Chaffetz for your service. Class act

• JustGordon Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:41 a.m.

Obviously the prayers of tens of thousands have been answered!

• Hoosier87 American Fork, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:35 a.m.

Wait - what?

That's not right. He's one of the good guys back in D.C. He was supposed to help drain the "swamp".

Thanks for your service Jason!

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:36 a.m.

Hopefully this means that Jason will now be free of any political issues that would keep him from doing his Congressional committee job -- fully and completely investigating 45's multitude of corruption, including collusion with Russian compatriots to steal the 2016 election and award it to a Russian puppet.

• There You Go Again St George, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:34 a.m.

He told Utah voters he could/would not support trump.

What would he say to his daughter if he supported trump?

He supported trump.

Now he tells Utah voters he will not seek re-election...

Fool me once, shame on you...

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Will Utah voters continue to be fooled... again... by chaffetz?

• toosmartforyou Kaysville, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:31 a.m.

Maybe he just got tired of sleeping on a cot in his office for 8 years...LOL!

The Dem's will rub their hands in glee, until he results of the next election, and then it will be back to the drawing board for them yet again.

• Yuge Opportunity Here Mapleton, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:22 a.m.

Classy move.

Think of all those disappointed foes.

• Barb Wire USA, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:24 a.m.

That is fantastic news! He has had too many congressional missteps and foot-in-the -mouth blunders the last two years to represent Utah with class.

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    April 19, 2017 9:19 a.m.

Politics has become such a dirty game that ever fewer good people will apply for the job! God bless you and your family Jason!

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:19 a.m.

Best news all week. Now, if he could convince Hatch, Lee, Love, Bishop to do the same.....

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:16 a.m.

Maybe Chafftez's conscience finally kicked in. Being Hillary Clinton's personal attack dog (spending millions and finding nothing) and being paralyzed when it comes to criticizing Trump, that represents professional failure no matter how one slices it.

• james d. morrison Sandy, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:14 a.m.

I can respect him more for his decision because of the reason for his decision when he says that they should serve for a limited time. Now if he could just talk to Hatch about that.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:14 a.m.

Wow! Thanks for your service.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID