Utah

Rep. Jason Chaffetz announces he is leaving Congress June 30

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    May 22, 2017 8:39 a.m.

"The Republic will survive without me. I promise."

Probably the most factual and to the point statement this man has made in the last nine years. His public humiliation at the Planned Parenthood hearings with not knowing where his visual aid came from (ooopsy) will be the thing I most remember. Absolutely priceless. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the beginning of this decision.

• Bob K Davis, CA
    May 20, 2017 4:19 a.m.

lost in DC - West Jordan, UT
    "The fact he has upset so many liberals means one thing - he has been doing a great job"
    WOW!
    And foolish me - I thought there was a Constitution and a person named Jesus who told us that we should all work together for the common good. I would like to hope that the people we entrust to run the United States are not playing battleball.
    This Sunday school I went to may not have been LDS but surely taught me that I was meant to treat others with love and support and that believing in the common good would carry me along.

• RC in WJ WEST JORDAN, UT
    May 19, 2017 11:27 a.m.

If Chaffetz does fallow the lure of the camera and Mic, as he most assuredly will, I am wondering if the Chaffetz fam. will be relocating to New York or will Jason take his "have cot will travel" with him.

He now joins Palin in the hall of quitters!

• SLC Grandma Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2017 9:21 a.m.

Old-fashioned integrity seems to have disappeared in so many areas these days. When you run for office, you ask for trust that you will do the job you're seeking, that you will honor the financial and moral support given you by voters, and that you will stay the course, not quitting when the going gets tough. To say he never intended to make his political office a lifetime job so he's justified in quitting, even though it's just six months after his reelection and his job is not done, is totally unworthy, shallow, and inexcusable. People did not work six months ago to keep him in office until something better came along...they supported him because they believed in him, trusted him, and he has now essentially thrown that trust in their faces!

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    May 19, 2017 8:12 a.m.

The fact he has upset so many liberals means one thing - he has been doing a great job. we will miss him. a little disappointed he did not serve out his term

• TaxpayerinUtah Utah, UT
    May 19, 2017 7:50 a.m.

I understand his desire to leave, but why leave now when getting his replacement will cost the taxpayers of Utah millions. Why didn't he not run for re-election in 2016 and save us millions? I am sure that he knew then that he was not going to run for re-election. If he is so adamant about leaving now why didn't he tell us a year ago and save all of the money that getting his replacement will cost us now?

• libs think what??? Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2017 6:29 a.m.

imp7
    why so bitter?
    his pension for 9 years' service is about $27,000, far below the $400,000 paid to ex POTUSs for at most 8 years' service.

the hate from the left is...

not surprising

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    May 19, 2017 5:15 a.m.

"Why he is leaving early will apparently remain a mystery."

My theory? He is head of oversight. GOP controls everything. So, if you oversee and investigate those in charge (read GOP), you will be blasted by your GOP base and damage your credentials.

Or you forgo your responsibility to investigate (which he has apparently decided to do) and damage your credibility to everyone but the far right.

Either way, it is a lose/lose situation for Chaffetz.

• Bob K Davis, CA
    May 19, 2017 1:57 a.m.

he wants to spend more time with his children yet all three of them will be out of the house this year.
    I'm glad that Ruby the dog will still be there. Well, his wife and Ruby may be there but obviously "there" is moving to New York to work for fox, which places mr. C farther from his children not closer.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    May 18, 2017 7:57 p.m.

I don't blame him for leaving - but I don't understand not serving out your term. To me that is almost inexcusable. Like Palin, the voters did elect you to represent them until something better came along. He made a commitment to the public that if elected, he would serve them for a specific term. You don't quit on your commitments..... pure and simple. Disappointed he is chasing dollars before finishing his job.

"Let's pass the buck, and force insurance companies to pay, for injuries which people got while not paying premiums."

Amigo.... this still happened before ObamaCare. Hospitals had to see all comers in through the emergency room door, and by default, that became the primary care for a segment of our society. The cost of providing that service was baked into every one who could pay a bill.... Hospitals didn't just eat those cost. Everyone paid for the uninsured.

And people should feel entitled to life saving medical treatment. Your wallet should not determine if you live or die at the hospitals door. It's simply unethical. Immoral. Denying care based on income is simply wrong... period.

• Sad Sack Hurricane, UT
    May 18, 2017 7:54 p.m.

Run, Jason, run!

• Max Upstate, NY
    May 18, 2017 7:49 p.m.

Seems a bit selfish. This doesn't make any sense at all. Congressional terms are only two years long. Surely he could have announced that his is not seeking reelection and then finish his term. Why he is leaving early will apparently remain a mystery.

• David Centerville, UT
    May 18, 2017 5:44 p.m.

I too am a lifelong registered Republican and have been saddened by the extreme partisan politics on both sides. We need to return to the middle, moderate position of governing where all parties can come together, compromise, and solve problems as best as possible. When nobody gets all they want, that is probably the right law to pass. If one side is trying to ram their agenda down our throats, it is always ugly. Obamacare was done wrong, and now the Trump administration is doing the same kinds of things with presidential edicts.

I wish Chaffetz was staying in office. He campaigned 6 months ago and I am sure he didn't tell constituents back then "Vote for me so I can resign in 6 months". Something happened to change his view and position. I suspect he sees the writing on the wall--Trump will be impeached and Chaffetz doesn't want to be in Congress to see it happen or have his name on the process one way or the other.

• The True Open Minded Mormon Draper, UT
    May 18, 2017 5:35 p.m.

The hate and anger by the far Left crowd is absolutely astounding. I do not understand how all of you can have so much of it inside you. I'm not sure I'd want to even be around a group that just oozes such vitriol.

It's amazing.........

• New to Utah Provo, UT
    May 18, 2017 5:11 p.m.

Jason Chaffetz served the 3rd congressman district honorably. His departure is frustrating and disappointing he ran for this term and voters including myself expected him to serve it out. He obviously was rattled by the hostile and perhaps potentially dangerous townhall meeting in SL county. I believe it was the turning point. Deciding not to run for reelection is one thing leaving office early is quite another.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    May 18, 2017 5:01 p.m.

You can only speak for yourself...don't assume all Utahans feel the same way you do. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

• mountainlocal Brooklyn, NY
    May 18, 2017 4:48 p.m.

This strikes me as very odd. I've never heard of an elected official announcing an unforced resignation six months after an election. Why did he run for reelection, if he was going to quit within six months?

• Gregory American Fork, UT
    May 18, 2017 4:32 p.m.

Very sad to see him leave. He's been a champion for worthwhile causes. Let's hope wherever he goes he can do as much good as he has done in the past.

• ajas Herriman, UT
    May 18, 2017 4:24 p.m.

If Chaffetz goes to Fox, good for him! He has served 9 years sleeping on a cot away from his family. I hope he gets a much better paying job and can be a new voice for conservatism. How many of you would be willing to do what he has done... away from your family and sleeping on a cot every night?

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 18, 2017 4:15 p.m.

So Trump will be impeached as soon as the next mid-term Congress members take their oath of office.

Chaffetz will be collecting million dollar paychecks on Fox complaining about all the healing the country is experiencing.

His Fox audience will nod their heads in approval. "Healing is so wrong!" they will exclaim on cue.

The loyalty oath Chaffetz gave Trump will always be in effect.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    May 18, 2017 4:00 p.m.

Than k you Jason Chaffetz for your wonderful service in the House of Representatives. You have done well. The only thing I would have recommended was that you supported President Trump's agenda more. Other than that, you're a fine man. Good luck in the future!

• wasatchcascade ,
    May 18, 2017 3:38 p.m.

So many matters hidden from the public eye. What was prominent on the stage though were cries of Benghazi, Hillary emails and bullying Washington D.C. citizens. The shtick was nearly non-stop for the better part of the past 8 years and now we hear of "family time" and yet the compass is set for (national) Fox, which is back East. The wife and kids moving this time? And the scurrying off to cast a vote on the health care bill that hadn't been scored or really reviewed, that was a bold move, but a necessity in the partisan eye? And the perceptive really -as to why he is prematurely leaving - driven by so many narratives. Getting pushed by the Trump side that has the "goods" on him or losing the stomach to go after the ogre on the hill that wears the R moniker? If only more in the beltway, could or would talk, whisper or wink; otherwise, after June 30 Mr. Jason gets to re-brand, sort of.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 18, 2017 3:24 p.m.

If Chaffetz wants to go early, that is his right. I'm sure none of the respondents that are being negative have ever quit a job, ever?

If Jason wants to go to greener pastures, that his his right. He's not our slave, nor does he have to give us the reasons why. He did just what the voters of his district wanted him to do and he has done a great job. Personally, I'd vote for him again but I'm no longer in his district.

The good thing is that apparently, he's not staying in Washington to be a highly paid lobbyist. I wish him good luck at Fox News.

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2017 3:14 p.m.

Provo Mayor John Curtis is the best available candidate for the congressional seat. He is an experienced problem solver, knowledgable about the needs of his constituency, moderate in his politics and with impeccable honesty. Let's hope he wants to continue his public service.

• Valhalla Alpine, UT
    May 18, 2017 3:11 p.m.

Why didn't he make this decision prior to the election last November? This is going to cost several million $ for the Utah tax payer. Plus all of the additional angst of another election. We certainly don't need more excuses to sling mud. This is very discouraging, especially if this is just a money play for him. I sincerely hope that is not the case.

I am a staunch conservative. I'm discouraged at the lack of ethics on both sides of the isle. Uggh.

• JBs Logan, UT
    May 18, 2017 3:07 p.m.

Hallelujah! It's about time. And now he is pretending that he cares about investigating Trump and the Russia connection? I'm not buying it, not for a second. What has changed all of a sudden? If he couldn't look his daughter in the eye and then he still voted for Trump, he has no credibility with me. Further, he not only wouldn't listen to his constituents and do his job, he just didn't care. Nothing penetrated that elephant-thick skin of his.

I don't believe anything he said in the past or will say in the future while he is in office or on Fox News if that is where he ends up because he backed Trump to the hilt, and now he wants us to believe him? Surely we are not that stupid, are we? Time will tell.

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2017 2:56 p.m.

Ha Ha
    Those who voted for Chavitz are you still happy?

• worf McAllen, TX
    May 18, 2017 2:37 p.m.

@airnaut,

Something for nothing,--entitlement mentality. Make someone else pay for your misfortune.

Perhaps I could get someone to pay my mortgage. We live in a country where people are no longer able to care for themselves. Pathetic, isn't it?

• NAFM Altamont, UT
    May 18, 2017 2:29 p.m.

In my opinion his replacement should be done by the electorate of their district not by the inner workings of the party. If someone is appointed to finish his term it should be someone who agrees to only finish the term and then recuse themselves from an open nomination process and election for the next term.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    May 18, 2017 2:05 p.m.

Trump must have really scared him when he insisted he not investigate him. That he would go to a private sector role rather than 'Do His Job' and investigate Trump's ethics and conflict of interest issues is quite telling. The man has no backbone and is only in it when he can play his game. The endless investigations of Hillary's trumped up allegations was ridiculous. Now when something real comes along, Jason turns and runs.

btw - I'm a lifelong GOP voter. One who is disgusted with the amoral leadership of today's GOP.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    May 18, 2017 2:03 p.m.

I do not know how GOVERNMENT Insurance works [ I believe they get it for the rest of their lives],
    but
    wouldn't it be sweet and wonderful if his foot is now considered a "pre-existing condition", and Jason Chaffetz gets dropped?!

• one old man Ogden, UT
    May 18, 2017 2:02 p.m.

It's a shame that Orrin Hatch didn't do this many years ago.

• MTerry SANDY, UT
    May 18, 2017 1:53 p.m.

Can't exactly call someone who has served in Congress for over eight years a "quitter". He's making good on his belief that this shouldn't be a lifetime career, although he should have finished his present term.

• DavidMiller Bountiful, UT
    May 18, 2017 1:48 p.m.

I'm frustrated that Herbert would want to avoid a regular election process for a special election. The only thing special about the election is that it is outside the normal cycle. The Congressional vote of the person who is elected will be just as valid as if they had been elected during a regular election thus the voters should have the same say in the process.

That probably costs more but you don't skimp on elections for a healthy democracy any more than you would skimp on medical care for a healthy life.

• Prometheus Platypus Orem, UT
    May 18, 2017 1:03 p.m.

Of course he's going to quit, he would have to start working if he sticks around.

See his city hall meeting that hurt his feelings, because he obviously believed he should only investigate the Democrats, and can't believe his constituents expect him to act non-partisan and investigate the worst president ever, for conflicts of interest and possible treason.

Quitter, remember this if he tries to fool Utahn's into electing him to any office.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 18, 2017 12:30 p.m.

I have no problem with Jason upgrading his paycheck and perhaps a better long term job where he doesn't have to re-interview every 2 years. The US House ought to change its terms to a 4 year term and bump the pay up. At the same time limit the number of terms to 3.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    May 18, 2017 12:18 p.m.

Is it June 30 yet?

• Boyd in Provo , 00
    May 18, 2017 12:00 p.m.

What has not been discussed with Congressman Chaffetz is the absolute disgusting treatment he received at his last town hall meeting. The Congressman has given us his very best efforts even if there are many that don't agree. I have been very proud of his service and the major committees he has served on these past few years. He has represented Utah well.

There is no one among us that would feel any differently toward his or her current job if we had received the level of abuse that he has had to deal with recently. He should keep his head held high and remember there are many millions in this great country that appreciate all the good he has done for us. My very best wishes to a very good man.

• DarthMaul Vernal, UT
    May 18, 2017 11:59 a.m.

In the stock market, they call it "inside trade access information" so I'm wondering if he received inside political stock information and decided to leave now while his career stock is still in its prime before the GOP stock market crashes.........LOL!

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    May 18, 2017 11:55 a.m.

Jason just spent a week trying to take Obama's government pension because he makes big bucks in the private sector. So Jason will give up his government pension as soon as he hires on with FOX, right? Right?

• Billy Bob Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2017 11:43 a.m.

I used to be a fan of his, but this pending resignation is making me lose respect for him. Especially if it is just to take a job at Fox News. I have no respect for a decision like that. He should finish out this term, live up to the commitment he has made to the voters in his district, and then just not run for re-election. Then if Fox News still wants him, great. If not, then at least his integrity would still be intact.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 18, 2017 11:32 a.m.

I'm just glad he was able to get surgery, for a pre-existing condition paid for by taxpayers, before he left office. I'm also glad he get's his congressman pension even though he's leaving to make a lot more money while trying to take away another person's pension because that other person is also making money.
    Also, he gets to leave before the investigations into trump get interesting. I wonder why.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    May 18, 2017 11:11 a.m.

The people must bear the expense of a special election. I think he owes voters a very complete explanation as to why he did not bow out before the last election.

• emb Pleasant Grove, UT
    May 18, 2017 10:56 a.m.

Glad to see this self serving grandstander go. I hope he never seeks political office again. If he truly loved Utah and his country he would finish his term. It was his choice to sleep on a cot.

• Ronnie W. Layton, UT
    May 18, 2017 10:52 a.m.

Truly disappointing. It seems he is going off to get a bigger pay day.

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    May 18, 2017 10:47 a.m.

Good luck in your new position at the DNC.

• Schwa South Jordan, UT
    May 18, 2017 10:41 a.m.

Can't stay in the spotlight because he won't investigate Trump. So it's time to go work for Fox News.

• RC in WJ WEST JORDAN, UT
    May 18, 2017 10:20 a.m.

First Palin, then Chaffetz, next Trump, it's just a matter of time!

• airnaut Everett, 00
    May 18, 2017 10:16 a.m.

My, that was sooner than I expected.

Let me guess ---

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen?
    Rats are fleeing a sinking ship?

• FT salt lake city, UT
    May 18, 2017 10:12 a.m.

Utahans have one word for this. Quitter!