How one family celebrated Father's Day after their father left

• KevinSim Springville, UT
    June 20, 2017 2:30 p.m.

Mufasta posted:

=This is a good story of a positive coming from a negative but where are the
    =stories of good Father's? Is reinforcing the actions and rolls of dedicated,
    =hard working Father's not worth the editorial space?

Did you read the article? The "stories of good Father's" were right there in the article. Sure the boy's father was a bad example, but due to the way his mother raised him, he himself was a great example of a good father.

• mufasta American Fork, UT
    June 18, 2017 6:58 a.m.

This is a good story of a positive coming from a negative but where are the stories of good Father's? Is reinforcing the actions and rolls of dedicated, hard working Father's not worth the editorial space?

• KevinSim Springville, UT
    June 16, 2017 11:22 a.m.

Bumperboo posted:

=Why is it so often that when something happens in a family, as happened in this
    =family- like an illness, mental or physical, or a death, etc- the dad leaves?
    =I've always found that interesting and a bit sad- pathetic even.

I've heard that too, that sometimes when a serious disease or death strikes, the parents split up. I've been there too; we had a daughter who died from SIDS back in 2001, and it was horrible. Our good bishop gave us several free hours of counseling from a therapist with LDS Family Services, and he was worth his weight in gold. I don't think my wife and I ever considered splitting up, but it was nice to have someone to talk through our grief with.

• Bumperboo Polson, MT
    June 16, 2017 12:17 a.m.

Why is it so often that when something happens in a family, as happened in this family- like an illness, mental or physical, or a death, etc- the dad leaves? I've always found that interesting and a bit sad- pathetic even.

• D Van Duker Syracuse, UT
    June 15, 2017 10:35 a.m.

Being a father is typically pretty easy--a matter of biology.

Being a dad can be both difficult and stressful. Just "showing-up" often takes a lot of moxie--particularly when young, inexperienced, and working without guidance or a "net."

Being a good dad is never easy, often a challenge...and perhaps the most rewarding opportunity a man will ever be presented with. You make mistakes. You fall down; but you pick yourself up. You're constantly striving to live up to a self-ascribed ideal...and regularly falling short. Just when you think you've figured some aspect of parenting...your child enters a "new-phase;" or a new baby comes along. In both instances, what you previously learned is largely obsolete...and you pretty-much start over with an almost clean sheet of paper.

The reward is that you earn the unconditional love of your children (except perhaps during their teenage years), and then comes joy you get when you witness your children succeeding in life...and falling...and picking themselves up again.

The sad part--the incalculable wonderful moments the father who left missed out on. Memories that he would have cherished...will never be his.

• FanOf"ChuckARama" Vernal, UT
    June 15, 2017 7:32 a.m.

Kudos to this loving strong Mother. She and her children are an inspiration to all.

• evelynfnts Blackshear, GA
    June 14, 2017 10:45 p.m.

Very touching. Specially because I grew up without a father.
    Nevertheless, I believe that made me be who I am today.
    I am a courageous young lady, who will accomplish anything that I face with strengthen.

I CAN ALWAYS LOOK UP! I HAVE A GREAT EXAMPLE TO FOLLOW MY HEAVENLY FATHER! :)

Henry B. Eyring "Every person is different and has a different contribution to make. No one is destined to fail."

Love, Evelyn