The Atlantic: Evan McMullin's ongoing 'war' with Washington leaders and Trump supporters

• 3025stc Santa Monica, CA
    June 19, 2017 12:18 p.m.

This guy--although I didn't vote for him, has my respect for fighting the good fight. If President Trump is hovering around 35-37 percent, I think Deep State should be given a new name. It seems to encompass so many who either did not support President Trump or who are now thoroughly ashamed that they voted for him. Instead of Deep State, it should be called Smart State.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    June 18, 2017 6:19 a.m.

I voted for Evan and I have no regrets. Why conservatives support Trump is beyond my ability to comprehend. He made his fortune in the gambling industry. He is on his third marriage. He brags about his immoral behavior with regards to his treatment of women. He has always come across as a bully with a big ego. I disliked Trump before he ever entered politics.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    June 16, 2017 9:56 a.m.

McMullin is former CIA. I trust the CIA today about as much as a broken chair. One thing the past year has taught us is the reality of the "deep state" in the United States government. Like Senator Rand Paul I don't trust the CIA or the NSA or the FBI. I see the leaks these organizations have caused and the spying and the surveillance against patriotic citizens such as General Michael Flynn whose career was ruined because of leaks from the deep state. Flynns made mistakes but the deep state decided to punish and ruin him. Like the IRS these people are not to be trusted and I would NEVER elect anyone who worked for any of these organizations.

• SLars Provo, UT
    June 15, 2017 6:58 p.m.

Evan McMullin is a globalist, amnesty supporting, Goldman Sachs . He is a big step back.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    June 15, 2017 6:56 p.m.

I can't say enough how much I admire Evan's courage for daring to stand up against Authoritarianism. I am saddened and perplexed that so many good people would gladly give their support to someone who only cares about himself and his gain. A man who has shown by his words and his actions that his values are wholly corrupt. That anyone would question Evan McMullin's personal sacrifices and patriotism in favor of Mr. Trump, shows the depths to which we have sunk in partisan nonsense.

I fully agree with Evan that it is time for 'Anti-authoritarians of all ideological persuasions to set aside their disagreements and link arms in defense of core democratic principles.'

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    June 15, 2017 4:56 p.m.

My edited version to Paul: I agree that Donald Trump is spectacularly fit to be President of the United States. I voted for him, a fact of which I am proud. I also supported the Republican Platform 100%. I did not agree with Mr. M'M's policy positions and saw that he received funds from the Clinton campaign. 'Nuf said!

I agree with At Long Last, DN, let it go; he's had his 15 min. of fame!

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    June 15, 2017 3:48 p.m.

Let it go, DN. His 15 minutes are up.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 15, 2017 3:35 p.m.

@Vanceone

"he would consider his campaign a success if Trump lost."

Given what we've seen from Trump in less than 6 months, that seems like a more than admirable goal.

• Paul8777 Brigham City, UT
    June 15, 2017 3:15 p.m.

One need not be a liberal or a Democrat to agree that Donald Trump is spectacularly unfit to be President of the United States. I voted for Hillary Clinton, a fact of which I am proud. I may not have agreed with some of Mr. McMullin's policy positions had he become President, but he has my respect as a principled conservative, which is a dying breed.

• Vanceone Provo, UT
    June 15, 2017 3:03 p.m.

David: I assume you missed the youtube video where McMullin admitted that his entire goal was to prevent Trump from winning, and that while he would like to win he would consider his campaign a success if Trump lost.

That's an endorsement of Hillary Clinton.

• David Centerville, UT
    June 15, 2017 1:57 p.m.

Vanceone,

When and where did McMullin ever state that he wanted Hillary to win?

The answer is "never". In fact, McMullin stated that his strategy as a presidential candidate was to block both Hillary and Trump--who were both the worst candidates we have ever seen on major party tickets.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    June 15, 2017 1:19 p.m.

So much vitriol for a person who has done nothing illegal but has different opinions than the majority of Utahans. He's an honorable person who has served his country well.

• Rubydo Provo, UT
    June 15, 2017 1:11 p.m.

McMullen has a lot in common with the anti Trump Antifa movement who also wear masks to conceal their identities in order to harass and silence Trump supporters.

• Vanceone Provo, UT
    June 15, 2017 1:03 p.m.

Well, McMullin openly admitted the entire point of his campaign was to put Hillary in the White House. He's a moby; is no conservative, yet tries to claim to be one. It's no surprise he sits there and nods his head when Trump is vilified in the worst possible way.

When was the last time McMullin criticized a Democrat? And not when he was pressed to come up with one to show he's "Balanced." I can't think of one. Nor can anyone else.

Has he even condemned the shooting by a radicalized leftist yet? Or did he blame Trump for breathing as the reason why the shooter tried to kill 25 Republicans?

• Rubydo Provo, UT
    June 15, 2017 12:34 p.m.

McMullen needs a different disguise because his antics don't fool the public. Coming straight out proclaiming that he needs a disguise reveals that he is just a no good subversive that doesn't have any real accomplishments to stand on. He can continue finding refuge on CNN where he can continue to malign President Trump along with the likes of characters such as Kathy Griffin and the plagiarist Fareed Zakaria.

What other causes has McMullen been involved with besides the destruction of the Middle East causing the refugee crisis while working for the CIA that also sold the American public on false information of WMDs that put US forces into danger and endless wars?

Oh yeah don't forget that 4 years ago Obama made it legal for the CIA to disseminate domestic propaganda here in the US to mislead the public which no doubt McMullen will use overthrow Trump.