A son's long quest to know his father (and hero)

Retracing his dad's steps during World War II provides a testament of Utahn's faith, willpower and indomitable spirit

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    June 21, 2017 2:16 p.m.

Awesome story, thanks!!

• rroehale Salt Lake City, UT
    June 18, 2017 7:58 p.m.

I missed this the first time around, but I am glad it is here. Thank you.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    June 17, 2017 12:37 p.m.

Wow what a story can't wait for the book. My father too was a Purple Heart recipient in the war and I have had thoughts of doing exactly what the writer did.
    Thank you to all our vets for the sacrifices they've made.

• it's fit to print PROVO, UT
    June 17, 2017 6:03 a.m.

Thank you for sharing your father's story. The words regarding forgiving the enemy have filled my mind and heart this morning. Their impact is profound for me and has inspired me to forgive someone for whom I have carried a grudge for years. I feel my heart changing. Your father's story has made a difference. Thank you.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 16, 2017 8:42 p.m.

What a story -- both "great" and "tragic" at the same time. This would have been an even greater article had it been published on Memorial Day.

• Just want to know...... Northern Utah, UT
    June 16, 2017 8:32 p.m.

A beautiful story of a father/son relationship, and so happy you were able to find your father's footsteps in Europe. Then to find the letters to your mom. What a treasure! Thank you so much for sharing. It was very emotional.

(June -- you are totally correct.)

• Max Upstate, NY
    June 16, 2017 8:00 p.m.

They truly were the greatest generation.

• june Provo, UT
    June 16, 2017 7:44 p.m.

This story is tender and touches my heart. Why do we now whine? I am 81 years old and I remember the stories of the war. I had a cousin die in the war. My husband was in the war. He lost a brother, and a sister was also in the war. I am proud to be an American. I am disappointed in those who do not respect the memories of loyalty, the work ethic, and common sense. Freedom is not free. If you live in this country and are grateful for what you have . . . stand up for America. I am grateful to Ken for writing the story of his father. Thank you, Ken, and thank you, dear Don Evans. God Bless our land.

• AlanSutton Salt Lake City, UT
    June 16, 2017 4:54 p.m.

Doug Robinson, thank you for this uplifting story.