Deseret News sweeps top newspaper reporter awards

• rroehale Salt Lake City, UT
    June 18, 2017 7:59 p.m.

Congratulations to all the winners!

• Marigold Provo, UT
    June 17, 2017 11:13 a.m.

Congratulations to the winners!

Congratulations to those who didn't win an award. Your diligence in gathering information and writing up a story that resonated with readers when you presented both sides of a situation is to be applauded! I've learned in life that "awards" aren't always what they seem...so congratulations to all who are true journalists. Thank you also for The Church News--a weekly treat!

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    June 17, 2017 10:24 a.m.

Well deserved accolade for the DN.

• Thomas Thompson SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    June 17, 2017 10:08 a.m.

Congratulations! Especially to Daphne Chen, whose reporting is a treasure I hope we'll continue to see.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 17, 2017 9:22 a.m.

Just wondering - If I ran a newspaper would I trade these awards for a Pulitzer Award?

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    June 17, 2017 7:06 a.m.

Well I haven't carefully compared the articles for which these writers received awards. From the titles though, I remember reading some of them.

However, I find much of the writing in the Deseret News isn't above partisanship. Rather, I find that it's partisanship veiled to the undiscerning eye and mind.

Most of the writers and censors at the Deseret News have more of a bend to the left than I think they realize. This Church owned publication is as anti Trump as almost many city newspaper across the country is.

Certain sympathies and antipathies come through to me much more than I think most people see.

I didn't even vote for Trump, nor for his main rival, though I did vote in both the primary and general elections.

But this supposed organ of the LDS Church shows a strong prejudice against our nation's current president; as much as it showed mostly support for our nation's previous president.

Fat chance that the Deseret News could ever be mistaken much as a conservative publication.

"Middle of the road" isn't what it used to be, when most all of society has drifted so far to the left, and have fully embraced socialism.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    June 17, 2017 6:22 a.m.

Of course they'll win. They write any article about BYU and it draws attention from BYU obsessors from all the regions around. They have it totally figured out!

Seriously though, those are some major awards. Congrats! It's the only State of Utah paper I go to get updates on specific topics related to the state. Well done!

• Frank K Phoenix, AZ
    June 16, 2017 8:36 p.m.

Congratulations to Deseret News!

You guys do a great editorial and writing job! Many of us come to this website searching to read the news of the day that really matter. I'm not from Utah and I can tell you there's many people around the world like me that know that this is a special website, a place where you guys try hard to avoid partisanship and make an effort to cover all sector of the population of Utah, the US and the world, and that's a good thing. Keep up the good work!