Gaming U.? University of Utah trustees approve bachelor of science in games

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    June 23, 2017 9:31 a.m.

Naturally this program must be housed in a basement somewhere.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    June 22, 2017 4:49 p.m.

A B.S. in Gaming. Only at the University of Utah.

• Jeremy234 SLC, UT
    June 22, 2017 9:25 a.m.

Although, I'm not sure if you can study MLM management at BYU, I at least know you could in 2009. Just for the record, MLMs and pyramid schemes are the same thing.

• Jeremy234 SLC, UT
    June 22, 2017 9:19 a.m.

Since video games is fast becoming one of the last things this country makes that we can sell to the rest of the world, I'd say the worst thing about this is that it didn't happen earlier.

• CDM1525 West Point, UT
    June 19, 2017 11:00 p.m.

I'm not sure what would be more useful in today's workforce, gaming classes or classes on reformed Egyptian?

• CaliCougar American Fork, UT
    June 19, 2017 2:53 p.m.

VegasUte

"So ... what you're saying is that not ALL of them are in Utah County - just 70% of them?......Yay?"

No "yay"....I'm not a big fan of MLMs generally, though I see nothing wrong with the business model fundamentally. My comment was to control the exaggeration, which I find to be a fairly regular occurrence on these comment boards.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    June 19, 2017 2:17 p.m.

@CaliCougar:

Yay?

• CaliCougar American Fork, UT
    June 19, 2017 10:33 a.m.

JohnInSLC

"Well, THAT explains why all of Utah's MLMs are headquartered in Utah County."

I did a quick review of MLMs in Utah. I identified a total of 13, 4 of which are located in the SLC area and 9 of which are located in Utah County.

Just an fyi.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 18, 2017 11:24 p.m.

"BYU does offer a "marketing" degree in their undergraduate management program . . . that is ranked 13th in the nation."

geekus:

Well, THAT explains why all of Utah's MLMs are headquartered in Utah County.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 18, 2017 11:13 p.m.

"So, if you get sick, or need a highway designed, or look for electronic breakthroughs, or even need to know about economics or history or the ability to speak a language, you may be out of luck."

DN:

The U's doing away with the medical-dental-pharmacy schools? The engineering dept., the economics dept. and the language dept.? I never found those stories. But yeah, why on earth would the U offer to better prepare students to succeed in a $100B/yr industry, particularly since one of its pioneers graduated from the U in electrical engineering?

What Emily Litella must think--shocking!

• The Pug Life Lindon, UT
    June 18, 2017 11:07 p.m.

I think students will find that game development, like movie production, or any other entertainment field, has a lot of "glistening charm" that masks the fact that it is a tough competetive field. Not an easy choice.

• geekusprimus Little Elm, TX
    June 18, 2017 9:21 p.m.

CaliCougar,
    BYU does offer a "marketing" degree in their undergraduate management program. An undergraduate management program, I might add, that is ranked 13th in the nation.

• CaliCougar American Fork, UT
    June 18, 2017 9:01 p.m.

Brave Sir Robin,

"I suppose it would elevate the U's status more if they offered a degree in multi-level marketing, like a certain private university does, right?"

I'm assuming, since you don't mention the name of this "certain private university", that you are referring to BYU? I went to its website and I can find no such degree mentioned. Can you point me to this degree on BYU's website? I'd like to read more about it.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 18, 2017 8:50 p.m.

Don't worry DN Subscriber. This new program at the Univ. of Utah isn't REPLACING any degree programs. It's only embellishing them. Utah will still produce thousands of alumni each year with degrees in Engineering, Computer Science, Economics, History, and multiple foreign languages, among others.

• geekusprimus Little Elm, TX
    June 18, 2017 8:17 p.m.

I'm mixed on my feelings about a game development degree. Much like a movie, it takes all kinds of people to make a game, and trying to call a single program "game development" is a bit of a misnomer, because chances are that it will result in one of three things:
    1. A business program focused on what kinds of games are marketable and what kinds of things are needed with a pretty light background in the actual development process,
    2. A fine arts program focused on music or animation,
    3. A computer science program focused on one of the six bazillion areas of game programming (i.e., artificial intelligence, graphics and resource management, physics, etc.)

In other words, it would just be an emphasis inside an existing degree program.

On the other hand, game development is different enough from what is expected in other tech industries that a solid background on business and acceptable practices might be beneficial to aspiring developers.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 18, 2017 8:00 p.m.

@Granny

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 18, 2017 7:37 p.m.

That is about as useful as a lot of the other fluff majors that colleges offer these days.

So, if you get sick, or need a highway designed, or look for electronic breakthroughs, or even need to know about economics or history or the ability to speak a language, you may be out of luck. But, if you want to play games, they have met that need.

"Higher education" in this country today is a joke.

• DarthMaul Vernal, UT
    June 18, 2017 3:52 p.m.

My niece is one of the fastest keyboarders I know and she said that she got it from computer games. I can see this new major filled up pretty quick on the first day........ LOL!

• Granny Saint George, UT
    June 18, 2017 3:17 p.m.

This doesn't seem elevate the "U's" status.