Drew Clark: Bringing fiber optics to all of Wasatch Front is possible

• scheman Orem, UT
    Aug. 14, 2017 3:54 p.m.

The problems is with Orem city, not UTOPIA. Other UTOPIA cities are being built out because their cities are supportive of the project. All I hear form our mayor and city council is "I am 100% against any more UTOPIA bonds." However, they don't mention the UIA bonds. Orem is not paying on the UIA bonds because the revenues are covering them. Please do more UIA bonds and bring it to my neighborhood!! I will not vote for anyone that opposes more UIA bonds.

Unfortunately, this leaves me without a mayoral candidate to vote for, but at least we can pick some city council members that can support the completion of UTOPIA in Orem. Meanwhile, my money is going to Comcrap every month instead of paying for a UTOPIA fiber connection and paying off the bonds. It is killing me.

Good luck Drew, you have my vote. Please bring some sanity to the council on this issue.

• SMcloud Sandy, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 9:35 a.m.

Fast internet is going to be something that makes Utah attractive to businesses and startups. It should be regulated like a utility to make it possible for someone out in the countryside to have internet at a reasonable price.

Make internet a utility! UTOPIA is a fantastic program, there should be more of them.

• drume Orem, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 12:52 a.m.

Thanks Drew. You have my vote. The ideological ignorance that keeps kicking this can down the road needs to stop. Pick a decision deadline, compare options, and get it built. You'd think the GOP Congress ran our city, given the years of opposition and complaints to UTOPIA without proposing a single viable alternative.

• SamuraiJack42 Orem, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 10:26 p.m.

You're welcome! You should thank me for helping to pay for your UTOPIA Internet connection THAT I DONT HAVE ACCESS TO.

I believe that the role of cities in providing Internet is to open their right of ways to private enterprise, and encourage healthy competition.

The company mentioned proposed a mandatory a $22 monthly fee per household to be collected by the City (on top of the tax money we are already paying for the original UTOPIA bond) This fee would have been mandatory for all, even those who did not have access (like me), or those who didn't want it because they wanted to use a different provider, (and it would have only provided slow 5Mb service unless you paid even more)

If you were in favor of that proposal, I worry about how that non-capitalist approach to governance. The city council rightly rejected this socialist proposal, just like it should have rejected the original UTOPIA proposal.

When it comes to services forced upon us by Government, NO ONE should have to pay for a service that they do not have access to.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 7:50 p.m.

Everyone should have access to fiber optic, it needs to be affordable and then everyone can dump cable.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 4:46 p.m.

I've been looking into 5G. I don't like what I'm finding out. The sound waves is more dangerous then the 4G that is being used now and are said to be cancer causing. The over head power lines is said to cause cancer. As for me and my house I think that I'll play it safe, fiber optic.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 2:16 p.m.

Of course we can do it. We can do anything. The questions is... who pays for it? The company that benefits from it (and their customers) or the tax payers?

I think it should not be the tax payers.

• gee-en Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 11:06 a.m.

I got UTOPIA about 6 months ago and can't believe how amazing it is. The speeds have been incredible, the service absolutely perfect, the price very reasonable and fair. I may be happiest that I don't have to deal with comcast or centurylink anymore...those 2 companies have absolutely the worst customer service I have ever experienced anywhere (something always wrong with my bill or service, promised one thing but actually get something else, no one able to fix it, gets fixed after weeks and months of calling and calling, then gets changed again inexplicably).
    Haven't had a worry at all with UTOPIA...everything just works.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 10:40 a.m.

Verizon will be coming out with 5g nationwide which will do what UTOPIA does but at a much lower cost to the customer and community.

Instead of a physical hookup to each house as UTOPIA does which is very expensive the 5g will take fiber optic cable to a point in each neighborhood and from there the signal connection would each house will be via a millimeter transmitter receiver.