BYU football: Mangum cites his favorite targets following scrimmage

• Dan Smith , AZ
    Aug. 14, 2017 1:35 p.m.

Riverton Cougar,

Thanks for your response. I hope you're correct. One thing I give Wittingham is he is really good at saying a lot of nothing. He compares his team to itself and speaks in generalities. This gives little or nothing out to anyone. I wouldn't mind seeing a little Q&A going like this:

Ty Detmer: We've improved since last year and since the beginning of camp.
    Reporter: Who is getting the most touches?
    Ty Detmer: The center gets to touch the ball every play and the refs touch it in between plays so it's probably a toss up.

I know, snarky, but still.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Aug. 14, 2017 9:45 a.m.

@Dan Smith

Maybe it's reverse psychology: maybe Tanner loves to target the WRs but is only saying that so that LSU puts all their attention on shutting down the tight ends. :)

But yeah, I see what you're saying. But you shouldn't put too much stock into what the coaches/players say, since they're generally saying things to appease the fans and give general information.

• Dan Smith , AZ
    Aug. 14, 2017 9:10 a.m.

Am I the only one who wishes that these kind of comments would not be made? Why give the opposition easy information?

Tanner: "Hey, I look to the tight ends first!"
    Opposing Coach: "LOL! Thanks for the heads up!"

LSU would have the Portland State tape to watch anyway, but come on, make them work for it.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 9:02 p.m.

In order for the offense to get back to the glory days, the backs need to be more involved. I like the TE 's getting some love but throwing to the backs is a big thing for me to see. Before Mendenhall the offense always seemed to come thru but now it's a big question mark and although there seems to be talent, producing is something they need to prove. Tight Ends over the middle and backs in the flats on a regular basis is what I want to see. Detmer has to show me a lot more this year, last year his offense was a major disappointment.
    One thing I saw in regards to Hill in his pro debut was receivers that went and got the ball , something he didn't get from his receivers last year. I hope Mangum has better help this year.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 5:58 p.m.

In 2009 BYU had a QB who loved to target the tight ends, 2 in particular: Dennis Pitta and Andrew George. They also had a great offense.

I hope this year will see similar offensive results, without the occasional meltdown games, of those years. Only time will tell, but I do see more reason to be optimistic this year than I usually do.

• BlueCoug Provo, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 10:31 a.m.

It's great to see BYU's offense and defense alternating dominating the each other.

I would be very worried if one unit was consistently dominating the other this early in training camp.

BYU getting good production from their tight ends is a very good sign that Detmer's offense is starting to click.

BYU's offense has always been at its best when their tight ends were producing.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 12, 2017 8:19 a.m.

Come ON WR's!!!

• Eastern CO Coug Elizabeth, CO
    Aug. 11, 2017 8:56 p.m.

Who threw the inceptions referenced in the other article? And who made the interceptions? Just curious. I know it is rah rah rah time of the year especially for the offense. Only positive comments from the press.