Rosie Rivera becomes first woman elected as Salt Lake County sheriff

• Truth2017 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2017 10:52 a.m.

Given the demographics of the criminals in sl county, perhaps she will have a better understanding of the criminals and find more effective way in dealing with them. Crime is growing, lets give her a chance to see if she can i,prove things.

• goodnight-goodluck S.L.C., UT
    Aug. 13, 2017 7:55 a.m.

She Earned the right to be there in that spot, over a long career coming up through the ranks. The Party made a good choice. Now we will see if she can rally the support to fix the problems that contributed to her predecessor choosing a chiefs job elsewhere.

• ute alumni Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 8:23 p.m.

Kenngo
    Lots of homes for sale in SLC

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 7:25 p.m.

Well, one candidate had the backing of ex-SLC top cop Burbank, and that tells me that he would have been a horrible choice.

Ms. Rivera seems to be well qualified, and probably deserves the job based on merit rather than the usual Democrat insistence on quotas based on render, ethnicity or whatever.

I wish her well in a difficult job, and hope she will get support when she makes the tough decisions to enforce our laws (all of them).

The story inaccurately describes her as "elected" when she was actually selected by a party convention, not an election by voters.

• Kenngo1969 Pleasant Grove, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 5:10 p.m.

You know what? If I were a betting man, and as long as intra-party politics doesn't rear its ugly head, I would say odds are better than even that Sheriff Rivera can win one or more general election(s) to her own term(s) as Sheriff.

Congratulations, and Kudos, from someone who leans conservative, though he's never voted a straight-party ticket in his life, and who not infrequently "crosses the aisle," metaphorically speaking, to support people he thinks deserve it and are best equipped to hold the offices for which he casts his vote.

You make me wish I lived in Salt Lake County. My parents do, and I'm certainly going to put a bug in their ears!

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Aug. 12, 2017 2:05 p.m.

Congrats to her on her being chosen by the Democrat party leadership. To say she was 'elected' is misleading as it implies the voting public at large selected her - such was not the case here.

• DarthMaul Vernal, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 1:19 p.m.

Congratulations Rosie!

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 1:05 p.m.

Having had experience in the past with Rosie Rivera, all I can say is "oh great" in my most sarcastic tone. And it's not because of her gender or her ethnicity. Frankly, I'd have supported Kendra Herlin whole heartedly had she ran.